Lost in Translation

We all know that there can be many different meanings to one word. This of course being the homophone. But did you ever encounter the difference in the meaning of a word when you are with someone from another country?

Lipstick

I was only married to my husband for about a month when he asked me for lipstick. I have to say, I was a little nervous when he asked me for this item. Translation for someone from India – my lips are chapped and I a need some chap stick. Translation from my perspective – should I be worried that I married a man that might look better in my lipstick than me?

Prime Rib

We had been married for some time at this point, so I know my husband does not like steak.  When he ordered the prime rib, I was a little surprised. When the waitress served the meal, my husband politely explained to the women that he had ordered the primed ribs, not this steak. Translation for someone from another country – ribs that are prime, best portion. Translation for someone in the U.S.- steak.

Rubber

Our friend Anjya was here from Germany doing an internship. She came home one day and asked us why people at her office where laughing when she asked if anyone had a rubber she could use. Translation to someone from Germany – an eraser. Translation for someone in the U.S – you know!! 

Dicky

I really don’t remember what I asked my husband for, but I do remember his response being something like, “I think it’s in my dicky.” Translation for someone from India – it’s in my trunk. Translation for someone in the U.S – for about 99% of the people it means a turtleneck, the other 1%, get your minds out of the gutter!

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Lost in Translation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s